We are looking at the causes of split ends! This is a major factor of hair breakage. With a few simple tweaks to your hair routine, you can achieve your desired length. ⠀
What are split ends?
Split ends are the result of damage to the hair cuticle which causes it to split or tear. It often occurs at the ends of your hair however can also occur at any point of your hair length.
Major causes of split ends:⠀
Too much heat⠀
Excessive use of hot styling tools (irons, hot curlers, blow dryers, hot combs). These draw out the moisture from your hair, making it brittle and more prone to fraying.⠀
Fix – Twist or plait your hair after washing and airdry instead of using a blow dryer. Style your hair in more natural hairstyles without the use of heat
Cutting with blunt scissors
Using scissors which are not sharp will only do more damage to the hair by causing tears which turn into split ends. ⠀
Fix – use special sharp hair shears and only use them on your hair to make sure when you trim, you are making clean cuts through your hair
The use of brushes and combs can be very harsh on your hair strands. Compared to using your hands, these utensils can’t feel any of the knots and can cause rips and tears creating split ends. ⠀
Fix – Use a wide-tooth comb or fingers to gently remove the tangles from your hair. Start from the ends and work your way up to the roots
This can be from the hot summer weather, blowdrying and straightening or just from a lack of moisturising. ⠀
Fix – Use a good leave-in moisturiser and follow up with an oil/cream
Why are Split ends bad?
If split ends are not cut, they can travel up the hair shaft which can cause more breakage and leave you with unhealthy hair.
How to prevent split ends⠀
- Minimise daily manipulation of hair
- Try to not to comb, brush or manipulate your hair into a style everyday
- Use minimal heat
- Cut down your use of blow dryers, flat irons (straighteners) and other heat tools as these remove much-needed moisture from the hair
- Detangle gently
- Section your hair and use a wide-tooth comb starting from the ends up to the root to reduce the creation of more tangles
- Moisturise and seal Use a leave-in conditioner and oil for maximum hydration which will make your hair a breeze to manage
- Keep your hair from rubbing on drying materials
- Use different hair tools
- deep condition
- stop using chemicals
What to do about split ends?
Once your hair is damaged it can never be restored. Products can only make them appear less damaged or make them easier to manage. Cut your losses, get a good trim and get back on the road to healthy hair.